What is a Halogen Heater- Types, Risks, Running Cost | 2021
A Halogen heater is a heater that uses the halogen element within its heating bulb and lamp. The halogen gas present in this lamp increases the brightness of the lamp and boost its efficiency.
The device works when plugged into electric current. Unlike other heating appliances that use conductors or heating rods, halogen heaters use halogen gas to produce radiant heat to warm up the place. With this technology, it makes Halogen Heaters the safest type causing least health risks as compared to oil/fan/ceramic heaters.
They are more useful in heating specific areas of a room rather than the whole room. They are intended to heat the people sitting directly in front of or around the device. You can use this as a heat source to warm the air space in particular parts of the room and not the entire room.
With minor health risks and low running cost, we suggest you to read in detail about Halogen Heaters before you purchase one-
There are mainly two types of heaters in this category-
- Oscillating heaters- Oscillating heaters come with fans that propel the air inside the heating system, which is then heated and blown out of the system.
- Blower heaters- Blower heaters absorb the cold air from within the room and blow out the heated air from the system warming up the room.
Halogen Heater Running Costs
These heaters are lightweight, portable and emit enough heat to keep you warm throughout the mid-spring and winter. However, apart from health risks, one thing that you might be concerned about this device is the cost of running it. How much does it cost to run this heater?
Considering the multiple heat settings that this device comes with, the operating cost may vary from user to user. Higher configurations will result in higher energy consumption, which will ultimately result in higher running costs.
These heaters are marketed as economical and low cost. However, you will need a detailed understanding of the cost of running this device before deciding to get one of these for yourself.
To calculate the running cost of your heater, you will need the following information beforehand:
1. kW power output of the heater
2. Energy price in pence per kilowatt-hour (p/kWh)
3. Number of hours of using the heater
Now, let’s try and understand the calculation with the help of an example.
NOTE: The unit of consumption and the monetary value are expressed in British standards.
Let’s suppose that you have a 3.5kW heater. You used it for two hours.
3.5 x 2 = 7kWh
Now, let’s consider the electricity tariff to be 14 pence per kilowatt-hour.
7 x 14 = 98p
Thus, we can see that the cost of running a 3.5kW heater is less than a pound. However, the cost may differ depending on the tariff. If you have a device at home and know the units consumed and the tariff details, you can easily perform your own calculations and find the running cost. If that seems complicated, you can use some online calculations that do the job instantly.
Read More About ARGO Halogen Heaters, Check Out NOW!
Halogen Heaters Health Risks
Are these heaters safe to use? What are the risks involved in using this device in the house?
Well, lets look at some of the health risks and dangers involved with using a Halogen Heater.
- Never purchase a second hand halogen heater and never power it with an extension lead. This leads to overloading causing fires. You should inspect your heaters thoroughly frequently.
- According to researchers at the University of Genoa, Italy, Halogen Heaters can be a cause of skin cancer. These halogen tubes emit large amounts of far-ultraviolet radiation, a type known to cause skin cancer.
- Some of these use infrared, which can be harmful to the human body. It can cause skin problems if exposed for a very long duration. As a precautionary measure, never let your skin or clothes come close to it. The high heat radiating from this device can cause severe injuries if you are not careful.
- Halogen light can also damage eyes. Halogen lamps operate at a very high temperature which can cause retinal damage if you look directly at the halogen light which is extremely hot and injurious.
Halogen heaters are said to be safer than other types of heaters. Unlike traditional heaters, these devices use the radiation from a halogen light to heat the air space in homes and workplaces.
Apart from these, there are no significant health risks of using this heater. You can use it for as long as you are careful. This appliance generally gets hot instantly. This is one of the biggest reasons for being extra careful when handling it. If you have kids or pets in the house, you have to make sure that it remains out of their reach.
Pros and Cons
If you are pondering whether or not to buy this heater, you need to consider the pros and cons of this appliance. It will help you find out if this device is suitable for you.
- Energy efficient
- Safer than other heaters
- Compact and portable
- Instant warm-up
- Direct heat
- Can be installed easily
- Cools down fast
- Not suitable for use in large rooms
- Costly for running
These heaters are the modern form of electric heaters. They are very effective in radiating heat and bringing warmth into the cold spaces. Also, if you are looking for a heater which is much safer and reliable, causing less damage and health risks, you should definitely go for a Halogen Heater, since it is the safest and least risky for health compared to other types. If you want to buy one of these, make sure to check our article on the best halogen heaters. You will find a list of devices to check out and compare.
If you are looking for the Best Halogen Heaters of 2021, don't worry, we have a full reviewed list of the best ones with other details like- Features, Price. Check out NOW!!